Register for a TNCore Training
The Tennessee Department of Education hosts numerous training events in different areas of focus for Common Core State Standards implementation. All events are free and open to applicable audiences for participation. Click on the appropriate event below to learn more and register.
2014-15 TNCore Trainings Announcement NEW!
This summer the Tennessee Department of Education will be offering two types of training for teachers:
- For the first time this summer, we will offer two “School Team Training Series.” These training series will engage a team of “learning leaders” from each school and learning leaders will then redeliver this training to all teachers at the school.
- We will offer additional direct training opportunities for teachers on new content as well as reoffering previous content.
This announcement includes detailed information about the School Team Training Series and preliminary information about the focus for the direct training offerings.
2014-15 School Team Training Series
This year the department will offer two School Team Training Series:
- Math PARCC Design & Key Instructional Strategies: The focus of this training will be deepening teacher understanding of the design and expectations of PARCC math sections and developing skill supporting student success with the most challenging math content.
- Literacy PARCC Design & Key Instructional Strategies: The focus of this training will be deepening teacher understanding of the design and expectations of the PARCC ELA/literacy sections and developing skill supporting student success with analytic writing.
The school team training series includes summer training and training across the school year. Schools that choose to participate in either School Team Training Series will be expected to hold time during the professional development schedule for their school dedicated to redelivery to all teachers. Click the links below for additional details about the school team training series:
Additional Direct Training Options
In addition, the department is considering offering a menu of direct teacher training options this summer such as:
- Reading Intervention Training: This would focus on reading fundamentals to support tier III instruction and intervention.
- Math Intervention Training: This would focus on math intervention strategies to support tier II and tier III instruction in math.
- Reoffer math training, literacy training and reading training from last summer: This would be a direct reoffer of previous content and be offered in July targeted for new teachers or teachers who were not able to join.
- Social Studies Trainings: This would focus on the new social studies content standards.
These offerings will be subject to demand and budget availability. The department is exploring training models that will allow access for as many teachers as possible. More information about the training models and specifics will be released in spring 2014.
If you have questions or need additional information, please email TNCore.Trainings@tn.gov
Common Core Reading Course 2013-14
The Tennessee Department of Education is offering a year-long reading training course for educators. This training will consist of four seven-part courses focused on the science and practice of reading instruction and reading intervention. These courses, built on the findings of the National Reading Panel and designed in partnership with Sopris Learning, specifically for the state of Tennessee, are not based on a specific curriculum or particular subject area. Instead, these courses will focus on building the knowledge and capacity of our teachers in reading instruction across subject areas. We aspire for these courses to act as world-class, masters-level courses in reading instruction. The course is offered free of charge for teachers across Tennessee.
Click here for more information
Common Core Reading Course for Higher Education
This year, the Tennessee Department of Education is offering reading courses to 10,000 teachers across the state. The department has also created three reading classes for teacher education professors in order to ensure alignment between what teachers are learning in their in-service professional development training and what prospective teachers are learning in teacher preparation programs. These classes are focused on current, research-based strategies and practices for teaching reading in the primary grades. The classes are free of charge and open to faculty at all higher education institutions in Tennessee, including private colleges/ universities and community colleges.
Click here for more information
Common Core Leadership Course 101 & 202
The Tennessee Department of Education is pleased to announce that it will be offering training to all school and district leaders on the Common Core State Standards throughout the academic year.
The Common Core Leadership Course 101 & 202 is intended to support school and district leaders as they implement the Common Core State Standards in math and English language arts/literacy and prepare for the PARCC exam. Recognizing that the areas of needed support, priorities and responsibilities differ by administrator, the content delivered at these trainings is tailored according to grade band (elementary, middle and high) and are exclusively designed for school and district leaders.
The Common Core Leadership Course 101 will be offered in the fall 2013 and its follow-up course, Common Core Leadership Course 202, in the spring 2014.
Leadership Course 101: Click here for more information and to register.
Leadership Course 202: Click here for more information and to register.